Thursday, April 15, 2010

My First Missions Trip-Guatemala2010 part 1

Coffee country in the mountains of Guatemala

I am having trouble starting this post. Not because I don't know where to start but because I have so much to say. I suppose I could start by saying I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Really, you ask? REALLY. It was nothing like I imagined it to be. This trip was an exercise in trust, faith and growth. One thing I have learned about my Lord is that whatever He places in front of me has reason and purpose...nothing is wasted. It will be used for the Glory of His Kingdom someday! Isn't it exciting when you have that truth? Life becomes a different kind of adventure when you have that attitude.

I fell in love with Guatemala. Before we set out I had asked the Lord what can I do to share your love with a group of people where I don't speak the same language and He said, through art. So together the Lord and I came up with a plan in preparation for this trip. I had the children of our church make pictures to give to the children of a Mayan Indian Church in the hills of coffee country, in a place called Aqua Dolce (Sweet Water).

The picture had the scripture in Spanish of John 3:16 on it. I spent two evenings with the children of our church teaching them about Guatemala and what we would be doing there on our mission trip. I told them that they would get a picture back from a Guatemalan child. They thought this was a great idea and many of them chose to make more than one picture. It was fun to see the enthusiasm and joy as they did their artwork. It is always more fun to make something when you know that it will go to someone special isn't it? Our children also put together several kits of foamie cut outs(120) for a project to do at the VBS times while we were there.

More to come... visit soon

1 comment:

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

Wow, what a blessing to hear about your trip, Heather! It was like being there with you to hear all the details of the sights, sounds, colors, people and feelings! I really enjoyed our long phone conversation, as always!

Colorful hugs to you my dear friend!