Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Dandelion Vase


My heart is singing with joy today, what a nice contrast to last week! I was just blessed by my two youngest children. I recieved this handpicked bouquet! Isn't it so precious? This is my Dandelion Vase. It is one of my most treasured things. Oh, I know that there is dirt stuck at the bottom and it isn't very big. It's not even real crystal. But, I love it just the same!

This was a gift given to me by a lovely lady and her daughter from our church. At the time I really didn't know her that well, in fact we hadn't been at this church for very long and here I was going to a baby shower these ladies were dearly preparing for me. Anyway, I didn't know it at the time but this gal lived with her two children and husband on his a very modest carpenters salery.

When I opened this gift I saw this little vase and she had told me, a bit self-consciously in front of everyone else, that she had gotten it at a second hand shop. This was special to me because I love old and used treasure. Then I read the handwritten note that came with it. I couldn't help it, I started crying. Big tears welled up in my eyes. This is what it said:

This little vase might not seem like much, but won't it be a wonder to see what it will be filled with by your toddlers chubby little hands? Won't it be wonderful to talk about the beautiful "weeds" that God has made for us to enjoy. And as you talk to your children about these things you will be planting precious seeds of God's love in their hearts. These seeds will grow with a little water and a little sunshine from you. It may take a long time but someday they will blossom. May your children grow to know the love of Jesus and may this little vase be filled with their love and God's love for you, dear Mother.

Today was a good day, I got to use my Dandelion Vase!


3 comments:

Trish D said...

What a precious gift, as well as the memories that are being built now!

maggiegracecreates said...

How beautiful this post and the vase are. i"ll be back to catch up on your archives.

Have a wonderful day.

bee'nme said...

One of my all time favorite posts I've ever read. Isn't it just like our wonderful Father to use a simple, humble gift(both the vase and the flowers), given from hearts of love to reap such an abundant harvest of joy! Bless You Lord!! As we say down here in Texas, "That'll preach!"

Thank you for sharing!! Made my day...

Hugs and blessings,
Becky S.